I thought it would be fun to share some information about Alaska with you, which I have come across during my literary investigations of Alaska. So here are my ten interesting facts about Alaska.
- There are some areas of Alaska than get 24 hours of daylight and other areas that get 24 hours of night.
- Alaska is twice the size of Texas, in other words, it is huge!
- A popular winter sport in Alaska is dog mushing. It used to be the most popular form of transport but now is a race.
- The only state in America to be attached to three different oceans: Pacific Ocean, Arctic Ocean and the Bering Sea.
- The Alaskans are quite partial to eating moose, caribou and bears
- There are more than 3,000 rivers and 3 million lakes in Alaska.
- The lowest recorded temperature was -80 in 1971.
- Raw whale blubber is considered a delicacy by Eskimos!
- The U.S bought Alaska from the Russian in 1867 at 2 cents an acre.
- The Northern Lights can be seen from there. In fact Anchorage is actually named after the Aurora Borealis.
Alaskan State Flag.
For more interesting facts check out the following sites which helped me to discover more about Alaska.